[lug] Thoughts on upgrading to CentOS 7

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Mon Mar 26 07:34:23 MDT 2018

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 6:54 PM, Zan Lynx wrote:

> It seems to me that your problem is self-inflicted. I don't know of any
> reason for you to be running shell scripts in your unit files. It's a
> pretty silly way of ignoring the unit file syntax, which is ridiculously
> straight-forward and easy to learn.

One helpful comment would have been to set SyslogIdentifier in the unit
file.

This doesn't address the fact that the PID is missing from the syslog
entries so I believe my statement about exporting and backing up the
journal is correct.

I would also argue that part of upgrading is adapting our processes to the
"new world", which means journal-centric logging on CentOS 7. The journal
is the source and syslog is deprecated, just like init scripts are
deprecated by unit files.

The main point I am trying to make is that it ain't easy and it could be.

Rob