[lug] Thoughts on upgrading to CentOS 7

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Mar 28 12:43:49 MDT 2018

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 12:05:12 -0600
John <John.Blaas at Colorado.EDU> wrote:

> I have to agree with Zan, though I recognize that your mileage may
> vary depending on the type of systems you administer.
>
> For me one of the biggest wins of going to systemd has been the
> plethora of supporting tools that have been introduced, namely
> systemd-nspawn, the spiritual successor of chroot.

That can't be argued. I'd love to have the equivalent of
systemd-analyze blame. And it would be nice to move away from the
widely varying network setups of the different distros. After they
covered the old stuff in mu-metal, systemd gave us an incredibly rich
set of dials mounted to that mu-metal.

>  The options
> available to control the behaviors of a service through the service
> files are pretty fantastic as well.

In all fairness, runit and s6 have all the equivalent controls.

> But if you don't have any use for the myriad of great capabilities
> that systemd adds then other init systems will do just fine.

I'd phrase it a little differently. I'd love to have those
capabilities,  but not at the cost of the complexity and reduction in
my work flow creation capabilities.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2018 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist