[lug] lsof

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 13:50:02 MDT 2018

Folks,

I was going to ask last night at the BLUG meeting but ....

First, a confession: this isn't just a Linux question, it's a "difference
between OSX and Linux" question. If you never use Macs, you'll probably
neither know nor care about the answer.

I've been testing a FUSE filesystem.  One test I wrote behaved oddly on OSX
10.13.4.
Investigation revealed the command biting me: lsof.

On Linux, lsof, which reports whether someone's got a file open, returns
instantly.  On 10.13.4, it returns in 10 seconds or so.  It gets the right
answer, but verrrrrryyyyy sllllllllllllowwwwly. Before you suggest I try
fuser, I'll tell you it has the same problem.

Can anyone either tell me how to make this work again, or what I could use
instead? My normal help desk -- Google -- didn't come through for me this
time.

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell], @goyishekop [twitter]