[lug] lsof

George S. georges at mhsoftware.com
Sat Apr 14 11:54:09 MDT 2018

On 4/13/2018 1:50 PM, Jeffrey S. Haemer wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I was going to ask last night at the BLUG meeting but ....
>
> First, a confession: this isn't just a Linux question, it's a
> "difference between OSX and Linux" question. If you never use Macs,
> you'll probably neither know nor care about the answer.
>
> I've been testing a FUSE filesystem.  One test I wrote behaved oddly
> on OSX 10.13.4.
> Investigation revealed the command biting me: lsof.
>
> On Linux, lsof, which reports whether someone's got a file open,
> returns instantly.  On 10.13.4, it returns in 10 seconds or so.  It
> gets the right answer, but verrrrrryyyyy sllllllllllllowwwwly. Before
> you suggest I try fuser, I'll tell you it has the same problem.

Just running lsof with no arguments takes around seconds 51 seconds on
my 8 core machine. That's around 440 processes, around half of which are
PostgreSQL. One (thread/fork) instance of PostgreSQL has around 180
files open.

So, it seems to be somewhat sensitive to how many processes you have and
the number of files a process has.

> Can anyone either tell me how to make this work again, or what I could
> use instead? My normal help desk -- Google -- didn't come through for
> me this time.
>
> --
> Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
> <mailto:jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>>