[lug] Julia's Drawings

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Apr 24 11:41:45 MDT 2018

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 11:03:35 -0600
Richard Johnson <rdump at river.com> wrote:

> Julia Evans, @Bork on twitter, has a page full of her instructional
> drawings about programming, filesystems, kubernetes, distributed
> systems, etc.
>
> If you're not aware of her work yet, give it a look.
>
> https://drawings.jvns.ca/

This is good,  but it could have been so much better.

1) These should be organized into groups, trees, neural nets etc to
   clarify things with similarities and distinctions.

2) Some concepts require more panels, maybe even a whole cartoon.

I mean really, what you should know about stack is **STACK OVERFLOW**?
There should be multiple panels, one with a stack of plates, one with a
bucket brigade to emphasize the difference between FIFO and LIFO, and
one showing what stack overflow actually is.

Some of these drawings have value. The one about the 7 layer OSI
network stack really clarifies things. But I'd say less than 1/2 of
them stand on their own.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2018 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist