[lug] restoring hosed gnome configuration?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sat May 5 11:13:01 MDT 2018

My backup directory wasn't mounted before an automatic monthly backup and
it completely filled my hard disk. (my disk is a 512GB nvme - very fast and
large enough for my needs but backups (obviously) need to be written to a
different drive.)

Since the backups are performed as root it completely filled the disk -
none of the usual buffer.

I didn't realize this happened before rebooting the system and lost some
files that are automatically saved by apps upon closure. E.g., all of my
chrome tabs. Mostly just an annoyance. But... somehow some gnome
configuration files also got hosed. It runs but I've lost the ability to do
things like set my background image. I've lost the ability to pin commonly
used apps to the sidebar.

I hoped bumping to 18.04 would fix it as the new packages were installed
but no such luck.

Any ideas how to fix this? Directories to check for existence and
permissions, etc.?

Thx