[lug] Another gnome weirdness - gedit

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Tue May 22 15:01:24 MDT 2018

Perhaps something in an interaction with the environment related to this is what is failing (versus the gedit application). For example, I've noticed in the past some issues under KDE with fonts where if I run the app directly as my user, then there is an incorrect font color...but if I use "sudo" to run the app...as myself, with no change to ID in any way...then the font works correctly. Dbus permissions seem to be the issue and monitoring dbus shows the difference (though I never found out how to correct it).

Check dmesg (or "dmesg --follow") while starting the app. See if anything shows up from executing the command.

Next, assuming your login name is "me", and that "gedit" is at "/usr/bin/gedit", try a comparison between these two and see if there is a behavior difference from command line:
# Assumes "whoami" says "me". Compare:
/usr/bin/gedit
sudo --user=me /usr/bin/gedit

If there is any difference between those two versions of how gedit behaves, then it is something in the backend protocols which is the issue instead of the application itself.

I don't know if this is related to the other issue - gedit now comes up grayed out and I can't copy from the page. I have the correct permissions on the file.

This happens with a new file.

sigh, it looks like I'll need to do a full backup and reinstall from scratch. I hate doing that since there's always the risk of something not being restored correctly.