[lug] Modern log analysis?

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 07:58:01 MDT 2018

What you're probably looking for has become known as ITOA (Information
Technology Operations Analytics) and is in pretty early stages still,
mostly because of the cost. Splunk, Moogsoft, EMC, and others all have
products in this space. I don't know of any OSS options. Moogsoft is my
favorite, based on doing some fairly brief evaluations:
https://www.moogsoft.com/lp/product-itoa

Most require a "learning period", where you basically train a machine
learning algorithm. It reminds me a lot of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQXT3E8Anq8

Once trained though, they (supposedly) do a pretty good job of filtering
out the noise. I haven't lived with one in production though.

QH