[lug] Modern log analysis?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sat Jun 9 09:06:15 MDT 2018

This isn't an answer to the original question but related. I've read
repeatedly that the best approach is to log everything then use filters to
take out the innocent things. Figuring out what's innocent can take some
time and that does seem like a place where ML could be useful.

What's left is the anomalies, they're the ones that deserve a second look.
That's where you should be applying the intelligence to look for patterns.

This is also why it helps tremendously to go through a logging mechanism
that ensures your log messages have a consistent appearance. It's more of a
pain to implement but it makes filtering much more reliable. At the extreme
the code doesn't even have the error messages, it always logs an error
code. The code is converted to a text message at another level, with the
error messages maintained by a group responsible to ensuring consistency,
completeness, etc.