[lug] Strange Ideas for Cross-Platform/Cross-Distribution Development

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Tue Jun 12 13:09:22 MDT 2018

Hi,

This is more or less just for fun, but could end up being quite valuable. I am looking at an image of an Ubuntu file system in a subdirectory of a Fedora 27 installation. Not only is this root file system Ubuntu instead of Fedora, it is also 64-bit ARM (and the Fedora holding it is x86_64). I have a number of cross-compile tools, and typically this Ubuntu file system gets edited and then flashed to an embedded system.

The strangeness comes because I was thinking how cool it would be to chroot to that alternate root file system and to use "apt" and family (e.g., "apt-get") within that alternate root file system independently of what is on my Fedora host. Fedora actually has some cross-ubuntu apt tools, but they are designed to be some sort of bridge between RPM format and DEB format packages. I don't want to do that...I want this chroot to be purely within the alternate directory.

If I just chroot (or "systemd-nspawn") nothing will work at all because everything there is arm64. However, I suppose it might be possible to place the x86_64 versions of apt and apt-get and dpkg within that directory tree and use those while pretending arm64 is a foreign architecture. Has anyone here heard of any kind of HOWTO for this? Or perhaps suggestions on which Ubuntu packages I might have to copy from an Ubuntu x86_64 system to make this work chroot?

Thanks!