[lug] Multiple gcc Versions On Fedora 27?

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Wed Jun 13 17:16:23 MDT 2018

The current GPU accelerated rendering for CUDA is binary release only and has not yet migrated. In addition to this, some applications are themselves bound and distributed based on versions of CUDA which are old relative to what is available. It isn't always a choice. I suppose I could throw out that Titan Xp...or the world could give up on GPU-based inferencing.

When I write code it is done right, and I don't need special libraries or tools. I've been coding against such things for decades. At one point I worked with terabytes of financial data which was under steady attack. The company I worked for wrote the letters for other companies which got compromised and there was never a single breach. Part of that might be because we didn't allow anything Windows to touch anything in the environment. It was an interesting issue since within my first week working there, while auditing logs, I got an email from someone claiming that if I didn't update my credentials I would turn myself over to myself for account closure. I had an interesting talk with myself that day. Not on my watch.

You do realize that using an outdated compiler is an excellent way to write INSECURE APPLICATIONS?  Don't you?  I wouldn't let students waste time making garbage with an old compiler.  Rewrite the routines you need.  Laziness is a big part of the security problem, it's why people continue to use insecure languages which is bad enough when not using an outdated compiler that produces code with known exploits.  Security is broken because no one cares until they get bit, then it's pass the buck.

mad.scientist.at.large (a good madscientist)

--

13. Jun 2018 16:29 by davide.del.vento at gmail.com:

Let me know if you don't find anything