[lug] debianisms?

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 07:54:41 MDT 2018

I remember years ago this topic coming up on a Debian maintainers list. The
decision they came to was that the common case was for people to want the
service to start when it was installed, and it's up to package maintainers
to override that behavior if it's not appropriate for their package.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find it in the time I gave myself to look.
If you have something starting that's behaving badly before it's
configured, it might be a bug. Contact the maintainer of that package.

Relevant discussion:
https://major.io/2014/06/26/install-debian-packages-without-starting-daemons/
(but not the one I was looking for)
Debian Policy installation decision points:
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/#maintainer-script-flowcharts
Details on not starting upon installation:
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/#interfacing-with-init-systems
Specifically the "defaults-disabled" flag. If it really makes you sad that
something starts when it's installed, you can always repackage it and
change the behavior, or submit a PR to the maintainer.

QH