[lug] Debugging a startup problem

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Sun Jul 8 19:42:09 MDT 2018

If you don't already have some kind of verbose logging enabled
for init scripts during boot, I would turn that on.

Maybe this would help (search terms linux upstart verbose logging):
     https://serverfault.com/questions/601806/upstart-script-not-logging-to-file

I had a machine hang during boot because it was mounting a
non-existent nfs export. Ntp can also cause hangs (e.g. ntp-client),
dns lookup failures can also cause issues.

You probably know this already, but in my experience power supplies
and their fans are the root causes of many system failures. So
if you start vacuuming, the power supply and case fans may also
benefit from attention.

On 07/08/2018 07:17 PM, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> One correction, two additons:
>
>>    initclt list | grep net
>
> That should be initctl
>
> During boot (I have disabled Plymouth as much as possible so I see the
> console messages) there were 2 instances of a message along the lines of
> "Waiting 30 seconds for eth3 ...", but these were not in dmesg, or any log
> files.
>
> And in (I think) syslog, there was a message about renaming eth0 to eth3,
> and some informational messages with the chipset model number, so the
> kernel knows there's hardware there.

Sounds like udev renaming net interfaces and it isn't happening quickly.
If you can turn off all but a minimal number of services and reenable
them one at a time, you may find what is waiting for eth3 to appear.