[lug] Debugging a startup problem

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed Jul 11 10:53:13 MDT 2018

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:32:25 -0600
Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> WAG time:
>
> Seems to me that the link ready messages from the kernel represent
> state change that are not happening without being poked by higher layer
> software.  That would suggest that the driver is not noting state
> changes on its own or that, possible due to the if name change, the
> events are not associated with eth3 but with eth0 at boot time so
> network manager doesn't know to bring up that interface.
>
> I blame systemd.  Because I can.

I'd like to, but I think in this case, no. OTOH, did Poettering write
network-manager too? ;-)

This is new behavior. No kernel change, no underlying software change.
I'd try to blame the hardware, but it happens on a soft reboot as well as
a full power off restart. Heck, even my USB ports are back now, after a
full power cycle. I don't expect _that_ to last, but for now, I have
nothing to look at, as far as I can tell.