[lug] Debugging a startup problem

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed Jul 11 13:56:17 MDT 2018

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:15:27 -0600
Lee Woodworth wrote:

> If the software hasn't changed, then it suggests a
> config changed. Do you happen to a have a git repo
> for /etc that would show what has changed?

I don't have a git repo for /etc. I do have a nightly rdiff-backup. But
nothing changes on this system. I'm still on Mint 17.3, and the only
updates I get any more are OpenSSH, chirpw, and Opera. None of those
should be affecting networking config stuff.

> Maybe ahavi, systemd and udev are competing for/or
> resposnding to the kernel network device events. Do you
> need avahi?

Nope. I probably tried to apt-get purge it, but it's all tied up in
dependencies with OpenDesktop stuff and network-manager. I can turn if off
with a manual override file in /etc/init.d/ but it's been there all
along, not causing me grief.