[lug] Anyone still have a 5.25" floppy drive?

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri Jul 13 08:20:38 MDT 2018

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:03:44 -0600
Bear Giles wrote:

> I was digging through my clutter backlog and came across the floppies
> for MS-DOS 5. I remember holding onto them since many embedded systems
> were still using it. I don't know if that's still the case since
> Arduinos and Raspberry Pis are so much more capable. I don't even know
> if I can run it in a virtual machine.

I have FreeDOS running in a VirtualBox. Why? Because I can. I know a guy
who keeps an old DOS instance running for nostalgic gaming, and I think
it's a physical machine. Other than that, I can't think of a use for one.

But I long ago tossed out all the floppy stuff. I might have a controller
cable around somewhere.