[lug] USB3 vs eSATA III question

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sun Jul 22 12:27:59 MDT 2018

This is mostly from curiousity...

USB 3 has a claimed bandwidth of 3 Gbps.

eSATA II has a claimed bandwidth of 3 Gbps, and eSATA III has a claimed
benefit of 6 Gbps.

I don't think any USB stick is going to be pushing 3 Gbps (but I'm not 100%
certain), but perhaps an external hard drive, esp. an external SSD. But is
that actually realistic?

In contrast my experience with eSATA is that it really is akin a
traditionally installed disk.

Like I said this is mostly from curiosity. I noticed my recent systems
haven't had eSATA ports but it's easy to add a half-height card for one.
Ditto external drives - they usually only have USB 3 but if you buy an
external drive case for your own drive then it's easy to find them with
both USB 3 and eSATA. So I have my eSATA gear but it might not be necessary
any longer if the quoted USB 3 numbers are accurate.

Does anyone else have experience with both USB 3 and eSATA?

(Meanwhile I'm wondering what to do with a few old external drives that are
USB 2. They're so much slower and smaller than my external USB 3 drives.)