[lug] USB3 vs eSATA III question

BC bcarr at purgatoire.org
Sun Jul 22 16:12:09 MDT 2018

On 7/22/2018 3:35 PM, Zan Lynx wrote:

> NVDIMM, maybe?

Yes, I think that was it.

> I would think that 100s of TiB/s would only apply in multiple
> channel configurations. Like saying that a super-computer made of
> thousands of machines has a TiB/s of RAM bandwidth. It's true but
> misleading.

Doesn't use channels as we understand them.  Uses a system they are
calling "fiber" but which is essentially a mesh probably similar to
what you described (if I understood what he was talking about).  One
of the slides he showed was about latency and compared SSDs that we
know now with an intermediate Intel product with 0.1 x latency of
SSDs, then this NVDIMM thing with 0.01 or less the latency of current
SSDs.

Since I have no computer science background this is all quite
fascinating to me.

They are looking for programmers to work in this "High Performance
Computing Division" in Longmont.