[lug] USB3 vs eSATA III question

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sun Jul 22 18:57:58 MDT 2018

Yeah, I've been having trouble using the startup disk (USB) to create a
properly constructed ubuntu installation on a second USB stick. It really
really wants to write to the windows disk. I can't do that with the 2 TB
disk as I hoped to but I could do that with a 32 GB or 64 GB image.

What were the details on making it bootable? I know how to create a
virtualbox image with a fixed disk so it would be easy to DD to the USB
partition but how do you handle the loader? Can it use an encrypted
filesystem?

The other option is to find an older system, put a small disk in it,
install Ubuntu as usual, then image the entire disk. Ugh.