[lug] USB3 vs eSATA III question

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Sun Jul 22 19:22:07 MDT 2018

On 07/22/2018 12:27 PM, Bear Giles wrote:
> This is mostly from curiousity...

Not related to performance, but something to consider with USB connected hdds
(native or enclosure): in my experience they can do lots of head load/unloads
which might be an issue with premature aging. For one drive smartctl reports
81462 head load/unload cycles. Started out with an interpreted value of 100,
current is 60 with a fail threshold of 0. 20222 (~2.3yr) head flying hours,
40E9 lbas read and written (pvr recording/replaying full-hd ota broadcasts).

I end up arranging for smartctl -d sat -s apm,off /dev/sda at boot for USB
connected drives. I didn't do that for one wd drive and it has
1E6 head load/unloads.

A performance related issue would be hdd RPMs. External USB disks may be
5200 rpm vs. 7200 for internal hdds. Power saving modes can also cause
delays for infrequently accessed drives. If the drive isn't spinning, it
looks to take 1-2 secs to come back online. In my experience, desktop oriented
drives that aren't 'green' don't spin down the platters.