[lug] NVMe Storage on older systems

Maxwell Spangler lists at maxwellspangler.com
Mon Jul 23 23:59:51 MDT 2018

Just reporting a very satisfying success

I bought one of these PCIe to NVMe boards: Startech NVMe + two M.2 SATA
slots

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IR05DLK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_
s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and put it in an eight year old workstation with a PCIe 2.0 bus and it
worked very nicely with Linux.

My read benchmarks on a Samsung 512G 970 PRO NVMe drive are showing
1,800 MB/s.  Writes are around 500MB/s which should be faster, but I
haven't investigated that much yet.

This NVMe card regularly benchmarks at much faster rates, but that's
always in modern motherboards with CPU to NVMe direct PCIe connections
or PCIE 3.0 bus systems.

With PCIe 2.0 at 500 MB/s x 4 lanes my max bandwidth is 2,000 MB/s, so
1,800 MBs is really nice.

I'm just thrilled that Linux saw it with no special drivers or
configuration required and that it works so well.

It's part of a home lab VM system that'll also have a Samsung 950 PRO
SATA SSD.  I'm planning on using a HDD to boot the OS, basic VM storage
on the SATA drive and some high performance VM data storage on the NVMe
drive.

Maxwell Spangler

Denver, Colorado, USA

maxwellspangler.com