[lug] Debugging a startup problem

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Jul 29 22:40:52 MDT 2018

On Sun, 8 Jul 2018 19:02:30 -0600
Jed S. Baer wrote:

> Symptom is that on a reboot, the network doesn't come up

I finally revisited this, and don't have much extra to mention, except
that I finally did the smart thing, and booted from a newer Ubuntu on a
USB stick. The network comes right up.

One odd thing I note is that after I disable avahi (using the override
file method), the ethernet device is no longer being changed eth0->eth3,
but to eth2, and it has a different MAC address.

The fix is still to issue service network-manager start, or service
network-manager restart, once the system comes up.

Re-installing network manager didn't help.

Deleting all the interfaces in the GUI, and re-adding the eth2 interface
didn't help.

Adding a stanza for eth2 in /etc/network/interfaces didn't help.

I did learn a few things, none of which really get me closer to figuring
out why the wired network won't come up.

Maybe I need to tweek the file for the wired connection
in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ ??? Nothing in the nm-settings
man page is suggestive, as the only thing that seems relevant is the
autoconnect, but that defaults to TRUE.