[lug] Debugging a startup problem

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Mon Jul 30 00:17:15 MDT 2018

RE: if renaming, with newer kernels+udev there is something
related to persistent interface naming where udev will rename
eth0 to a bus/slot/function related name (e.g. enps3). Do you
ever see names like that in dmesg? Is there a way see if any
systemd service/unit is renaming the interface? BTW udev appears
to have been taken over by systemd as the daemon binary is
/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd using the standard udev package.

When you say 'network doesn't come up', do you mean the nic's
link isn't detected, it doesn't have any addresses/routes or
it had a link and address but was shutdown? What happens when
you do: ip link set dev ethX up? (e.g. does it come up but
systemd or xxx then shuts it down)

bringing the interface up work (ip set dev=