[lug] Any recommendations for encrypted file systems?

Jeff Sharkey jsharkey at jsharkey.org
Tue Aug 7 14:23:06 MDT 2018

ext4-crypt has been upstreamed by tytso and is used in Android devices for
file-based encryption.  The maintainer of eCryptfs was major contributor to
ext4-crypt, improving its design based on their previous experience.  :)

https://blog.quarkslab.com/a-glimpse-of-ext4-filesystem-level-encryption.html

https://lwn.net/Articles/639427/

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 2:16 PM, Steve Webb <bigwebb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Encfs, ecryptfs or other suggestions for file-based (I don't want to
> encrypt the whole volume like truecrypt) on-the-fly encryption?  I'd like
> to nfs export the unencrypted file system directory after its set up too
> (if that's even possible). Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04.
>
> - Steve

Jeff Sharkey
jsharkey at jsharkey.org
http://jsharkey.org/