[lug] Suspicous: "host"/"DNS" Showing Odd Results (Fedora)

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Sep 3 16:56:54 MDT 2018

On 9/3/2018 4:38 PM, stimits at comcast.net wrote:
> FYI, does anyone else see "civrightsvoices.com" in the dig or host query
> for 69.252.80.75? If someone else sees it, then I know it isn't limited
> to my modem...but at the same time, unless someone else is using the
> comcast DNS, then it might not apply. I'd be very interested to know if
> someone with a comcast network is seeing anything like this.

Yes I get the same answer. But if you used dig with +trace, it didn't
rely on Comcast servers, it did the lookup starting from the root "."
servers.

Strange reverse DNS PTR records are easy to come up with. There isn't
much checking on that since it hardly matters to anyone. It would have
been very easy for some Comcast DNS administrator to enter it wrong.