[lug] Suspicous: "host"/"DNS" Showing Odd Results (Fedora)

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Mon Sep 3 17:04:34 MDT 2018

It seems legitimate, but it still caused firefox to lock up within OpenSSL code (I added many debug packages and looked at the stack frame during lockup). It is odd though (and probably a bug) that sometimes ping and other DNS related tools show civrightsvoices.com, and at other times show urlrw01.cable.comcast.com (I'm guessing comcast should not be switching its text description, and maybe they have a cluster with some servers configured incorrectly and some doing as they should). Maybe this is an unhandled corner case, perhaps it is something which comcast shouldn't do...but either way it seems OpenSSL within firefox shouldn't lock up when this occurs (at worst an error should crop up instead of a firefox lock regardless of whether comcast is at fault or not).

----- Original Message -----From: Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>To: lug at lug.boulder.co.usSent: Mon, 03 Sep 2018 22:59:32 -0000 (UTC)Subject: Re: [lug] Suspicous: "host"/"DNS" Showing Odd Results (Fedora)

On 9/3/2018 4:38 PM, stimits at comcast.net wrote:> FYI, does anyone else see "civrightsvoices.com" in the dig or host query > for 69.252.80.75?

Or the even easier answer. Now that I've looked it at that domain name civrightsvoices.com goes to a web page about "Voices of the Civil Rights Movement." And on that page it says "A Collaboration of Comcast and NBC Universal."