[lug] Old oddball systems if anyone wants one...

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri Oct 19 14:09:19 MDT 2018

I'm currently out of town (hence no photos or details) but reading
something reminded me that I want to get rid of some old oddball systems
next week if anyone wants one. I think they're all atom processors and a
Rasp Pi 3 is probably more powerful but the first few items are definitely
more portable.

One is a "Dell 10".  I think I also have a "Dell 12". They're the entry
level dells from a few years ago, with optional red case and webcam. I
can't remember if they use an early SSD or traditional media.  Your RaspPi
is probably more powerful but they have a screen and keyboard and can run
Ubuntu. (They came with Windoze.) For anything other than hobbyist use (or
running Kali) you would probably want to just get a chromebook.

(I'm keeping my "Dell 9". Only 16 GB SSD but it has a nice form factor...
if only I didn't hear occasional comments from people saying they had one
as a kid.)

Another is an "AS-ROCK" pre-nuc. It's significantly larger than a nuc but
smaller than any desktop so it has room for an internal hard drive. It's
the one I would be most likely to keep if I didn't already have a handful
of nucii.

Finally I have an old tower in the mix. I haven't used it in a very long
time so I don't even remember any details other than that it was a Micro
Center special and that I had a zip drive installed in place of a floppy
drive. I now try to stick with much smaller form factors since I don't need
multiple 5.25" internal drives but it might be good if you still need to
work with old cards or drives.

I can provide more info when I get back. I just wanted to toss this out
there before I take them to e-cycle.

Bear