[lug] Two (or more) separate X logins on different virtual terminals?

Orion Poplawski orion at nwra.com
Tue Nov 13 08:48:10 MST 2018

On 11/13/18 6:51 AM, Bear Giles wrote:
> This is one of those questions where any answer on google is buried
> under countless similar, but unrelated answers and the few on-point are
> a decade old. Sigh.
>
> With the gnome gdm is it possible to have separate X logins on different
> virtual terminals? The specific idea is to set up my work laptop so that
> VT-1 is used for my work and VT-2 is used for personal stuff. I'm not
> doing a lot of personal stuff on it but chrome tabs tend to reproduce
> like rabbits without wolves and using different desktops and chrome
> profiles isn't working out as I hoped. I really wish chrome kept track
> of which gnome screen a window was on when you shutdown and relaunch -
> it would save so much effort.
>
> I think I might have set this up before but it was a very long time ago.

Pretty much every display manager these days has a "login as new
user"/"switch user" or similar these days which does this.  You're going
to need a different user for work and personal stuff for this to work as
well.

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems          720-772-5637
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com
Boulder, CO 80301                 https://www.nwra.com/