[lug] Which Database schema?

BC bcarr at purgatoire.org
Tue Nov 13 15:40:14 MST 2018

On 11/13/2018 3:22 PM, Zan Lynx wrote:
> I recall reading a blog a while ago by a developer who regretted
> making lots of columns.
> Because of things like Chinese names he got rid of first name, last name and simply had name. Instead of street number, street, city, etc., he just had mailing address.
>
> Once he got outside of the US and European countries things just got too weird for his many columns.

Essentially, I was wondering if it is ultimately faster to read and
write one BIG column over a LITTLE column.

If the disk isn't fragmented much, I would think one BIG column is
faster, but Bear's suggestion wouldn't support that.  I may need to
set up a test case and try it to see. In the meantime I'll leave it as
a 55 columns each containing the same, native fields for different
weeks/yr.