[lug] display

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Dec 24 13:10:18 MST 2018

Logged in on console. KDE started after I installed it. Gdm3 says
"reload failed" but I haven't been able to find any useful log
messages, e.g., with journalctl.

I deleted the contents of that directory but no change in behavior.

The next step is probably to try bumping to 18.10 and hoping that
reconfigures whatever I'm missing.

The XDMCP issue is unrelated to the GDM3 issue - I recently tweaking
the gdm3/custom.conf file to enable XDMCP but reset it. I was never
prompted
 to connect to a different host.

Fun aside - if you install Ubuntu server there's no option for
enabling an encrypted filesystem. It makes sense in one way - this
version is targeted at data centers - but it's a bit annoying in a
home environment where you're willing balancing the risk of theft to
the inconvenience of having to dig out the USB-powered monitor to
enter the password after the rare power hit. There's probably some way
to set up the partitioning to allow most of it to be on a separate
encrypted partition (for /var/lib/x, etc.) that's mounted manually but
I didn't take the time to dig into it.

Bear