[lug] Troubleshooting Transient DNS failures

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Jan 16 12:05:43 MST 2019

Could you insert your own caching DNS server?

You could sell it by pointing out that DNS queries are a common way to
exfiltrate data via the payload. (In fact many of us are suspicious that
that's why there was such heavy DNS traffic between the Trump campaign and
Alfa Bank.) Putting in a caching DNS server can go a long way towards
blocking that if your firewall blocks all traffic on port 53 except traffic
to/from your caching DNS server.

Of course it's also a way to send all attempts to hit the facebook servers
into the great bit bucket in the sky. :-)