[lug] Apache Virtual Hosting Question

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Apr 3 18:19:57 MDT 2019

I ran into a case where I wanted to test a couple of independent web "creations" on my Fedora system. So I set up virtual names, and my "/etc/hosts" has a couple of different domains. The content is in different subdirectories of "/var/www/". Within the actual html/css I'm trying to learn to a bit more modern, and so for example I've referred to some URLs via the "//use/the/requesting/protocol/instead/of/hard/coding/" syntax. Only this doesn't work for external CSS.

If I don't actually code the explicit name into the URL it doesn't work. I didn't want to do mod_rewrite, but I did want to html/css to be portable without embedding a host name into it. Should I be running more than one server instance on different ports instead of working with virtual servers?

I would hope that if I refer to a site as "http://custom", and "custom" is in "/etc/hosts", that any relative URLs in the html would also assume that "custom", but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks!