[lug] Conversion of BIOS Disks to UEFI (non-destructive)

Orion Poplawski orion at nwra.com
Fri Apr 26 13:57:19 MDT 2019

On 4/26/19 1:52 PM, D. Stimits wrote:
> Excellent...didn't know about gdisk abilities.
>

> There is still one possible issue (I'm just wondering about this as a puzzle,
> not so much for practical use): When a GPT partition scheme disk is used as a
> boot disk there is extra firmware or boot support added to the front of the
> disk. Does converting to GPT reserve that space for making the disk bootable?
> Or would one still need to make further movements of partitions to allow room
> at the start of the disk?

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to - but to boot an EFI system you
need an EFI partition to store the EFI bootloaders - but that can be anywhere
on the disk - though traditionally it comes first.  This is usually around 200MB.

There is no magic firmware space that I'm aware of -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems          720-772-5637
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com
Boulder, CO 80301                 https://www.nwra.com/