[lug] Security - Wireguard

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sun Jun 30 10:38:24 MDT 2019

Re conf - one of my "I should do this!" projects - which has been in that
state for years - is to have a simple web interface where you select a few
options and then download a zip file of zip files (since that's a bit more
Windows-friendly) where the lower level zip files contain the configuration
and crypto material for each node and the top level zip file bundles them.
It could be accessed via website or REST API. The latter would let an
installer package handle the query behind the scenes.

Think LetsEncrypt. And, thinking of LetsEncrypt, it would probably be a
good idea (now) to write it then contribute it to them so people would have
confidence I wasn't keeping a copy of their crypto material. (Just how long
this idea has been on the backburner - at the core is the same
functionality as LetsEncrypt but it predates LE by years. In fact the
implementation today would probably work as a front-end to LE although that
would mean that the client-side installer would need to be smart enough to
periodically update crypto material.)

The motivation is that OpenVPN has some good stuff but 1) it doesn't have a
clear list of "business problems" to solve, 2) a clear description of the
best solution for each, complete with a bit of a "step up/step down" in
security, including a checklist, and 3) it can be a pain to do manually if
you want the strongest security since you have to create, distribute, and
maintain a bunch of client keys.

Hell, I still haven't gotten around to implementing one of those things
myself. We have a corporate VPN and I know it's possible to set up my
system so any connection to given IP address ranges will go through it
instead of the default route... and that this supercedes me setting up a
default VPN. I know the general approach - routing tables, entries in
/etc/network/if-post-up.d, etc., but I've never gotten around to setting it
up. There's probably several blog entries describing this... or if not I
should write my own.