[lug] DNS Registrar and DNS provider - recommendations?

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Jul 7 20:48:38 MDT 2019

I have a .NET domain, registered through DynDNS, which I did quite a
while ago, before Dyn was acquired by Oracle. Oracle has announced the
EOL for the standard DNS offering from Dyn, with migration to Oracle
Cloud Infrastructure, which sounds like something not targeted for small
fish such as myself. I actually make almost no use of my domain, but I
keep it, for hysterical porpoises, and maybe I'll get the bug and fire up
a blog again sometime.

So, I'm looking at migrating, and I don't need hosting, just registration
and DNS, with URL forwarding. I don't even have e-mail on the domain
right now. I've identified the following candidates.

 - NameCheap
 - Gandi
 - CheapDomain

I don't want to go with Google, Cloudflare, 1&1, GoDaddy, and similar
companies, and if I do set up another blog, I'll use hosting seperate
from my DNS provider.

Any thoughts or other recommendations?
Thanks.