[lug] DNS Registrar and DNS provider - recommendations?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Jul 8 15:30:42 MDT 2019

I've also heard good things about Gandi. I personally use AWS but that's
mostly since I have so much stuff there. I wish they had slightly better
integration with EC2 though - although that could easily be an oversight on
my part.

What I'm referring to specifically is the wish that their DNS console
allowed us to specify an A record using the EC2 instance id. Bounce the
instance and the public IP address will change... and if their DNS system
was keyed to the instance id it could change the DNS serial number and A
record so the change is propagated. Right now you have to update the record
yourself. It's not really an issue with enterprise users since they'll
already have some layers of indirection but small guys typically won't.

At least the internal IP addresses are stable. If I have a nginx frontend I
can bounce the backend servers without any issues since they should be
communicating over the internal network and those addresses don't change.
I'm only hosed if the frontend gets bounced and I don't notice it.