[lug] stupid swap question

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Sun Dec 1 15:50:21 MST 2019

On 12/1/2019 1:29 PM, Bear Giles wrote:

> I've created an explicit swap file, added it via swapon, and it shows up
> in the system but doesn't seem to be used. It's really odd since this
> has worked in the past.
>
>     bgiles at eris:~$ free -h
>                    total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
>        available
>     Mem:           62Gi        16Gi        23Gi       4.7Gi        22Gi
>             40Gi
>     Swap:          32Gi       113Mi        32Gi
>

> The 113 Mi is the miniscule swap partition created by the Ubuntu
> installer. You can set partitions manually but it's a real pain when
> you're using LVM and encryption.

To the best of my knowledge, your system is using your swap partition.
You've got 23 gigabytes free. There's no reason for it to use any swap.

You can see you've got 32 gigabytes of total swap, which is far bigger
than the file, so it must be using the partition.
--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil