[lug] face plant into glass door...

Maxwell Spangler lists at maxwellspangler.com
Mon Dec 9 13:30:36 MST 2019

Hi,
Can you provide more technical details on your configuration?
I run three headless NAS units that have unencrypted OS but definitely
multiple encrypted data filesystems.
Rebooting for me requires blindly rebooting them as they don't have
keyboard/video/mouse connected at all, waiting for SSH availability,
then logging in and manually running a script that does 'cryptsetup
luksOpen' to make encrypted volumes available and mount the
filesystems.
The peace of mind this brings -- knowing that if they were stolen my
data is fairly protected -- is completely worth the effort to configure
and boot.
I'm running CentOS 7, with an LVM volume group for the OS only, so
booting is simple and straightforward.
My encrypted filesystems are either mdadm based RAID 1 mirrors or
straight encrypted partitions on specific drives. I open the encrypted
devices with cryptsetup then mount as a normal block device.
This has worked really well for about 8 years now, so I'd encourage you
to stay on the right track, just adjust the OS installation so its more
isolated from the data.

--
Maxwell Spangler

Denver, Colorado, USA