[lug] face plant into glass door...

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Dec 9 15:38:32 MST 2019

I can make nfsd is brought down before calling 'vgchange -an'. It won't
protect me from a power crash but can use this as motivation to actually
hood up aspd(?) - the daemon that listens to the USB port on a UPS and
sends a 'shutdown' message once the UPS kicks in, or at least after N
minutes.

It's a fairly straightforward setup. I had soft plans to set up FreeNAS but
my refurbished dell only supports one 3.5" drive or two 2.5" drives and
FreeNAS requires at least two drives since the data drives are dedicated
entirely for data. So for now I'm just running of the WD Red drive. It has
a moderately large standard partition containing Ubuntu 19.04 server and
the rest is an encrypted LVM partition containing a single VG. I've been
carving LVs out of it.

This system will also have an encrypted external drive attached to it but
that's not important here.

The first LV carved out are for my backup partitions. The system 'foo' has
a /backups directory that's actually NFS-mounted from /backups/foobar. When
I have my act together access is limited to that system - even if a system
is compromised the bad actor can't (easily) erase the backups for all
systems. They can't even fill the backups partition and prevent other
backups from being performed. The backup itself is a simple tar script.

In the past I've experimented with the script auto-mounting and -unmounting
the backup partition. I might try that again.