[lug] Window Tiling Tools for Display Management

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Thu Jan 9 19:46:12 MST 2020

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 4:45 PM Maxwell Spangler <lists at maxwellspangler.com>
wrote:
> The short answer is that I perform actions in geographically consistent
locations on my computer.

Since you seem interested (and everybody else must be fascinated too ;-)....

I do, too, but a lot fewer. I used to use two monitors, but dropped that in
favor of two virtual desktops (spaces in Mac'ese). For coding: one iTerm
tab open to emacs with two, vertically-split windows. For
debugging/sysadmin: a few more tabs (one per host), but close them when I'm
done with the task at hand. I learned this from the best coder I know: do
one task at a time, close the window, rinse-repeat. (He's really extreme
about this.) I toggle between iTerm and my "login" browser (mail, calendar,
task list, github, and basic click-testing) most of the day.

The other virtual desktop (much less used) has Skype and a "scratch"
browser, which I clear regularly.

Occasionally, I'll use Mac's Stickies.

Rob