[lug] curiosity about WFH

Matt Bidwell mbidwell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 05:00:11 MDT 2020

On 3/17/20 5:02 PM, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> My employer is notoriously against WFH.  After working 3 years for
> him, I can normally WFH just two days a week (we support remote HPC
> clusters, so all of our work is remote).
> His first response last week was "no change in schedule".
> Yesterday it was "divide the team in half. One half comes to office
> one week, the other half in the following week."
> BUT thanks to last night's events, this morning we were told "WFH
> until 3/30, and we'll reevaluate then".
>
> Calvin

Yea, all us HPC people....
For what it's worth, a colleague at NIH says the recommendation is to
not do the switching up. If you're the person coming in, you need to
continue to be that person and not switch it up.  Up until yesterday,
our manager has been strongly encouraging people to work from home.
We've had a couple of suspected cases on our campus which lead to people
being sent home from the buildings they were in. Yesterday the
organization changed the policy to you have to work from home unless you
are required to be there. Nothing much has changed for me, as I've been
the one person coming in and checking on things and coordinating
repairs. So, we are still letting vendors on site. I'll probably work
remotely Friday. -Matt