[lug] curiosity about WFH

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 07:54:35 MDT 2020

Hi Stephen,

I have seen this plot in various contexts, e.g.
https://www.bvsd.org/current-topics/coronavirus/district-updates (click
"Boulder Valley School District Schools Closing Starting March 13 to Limit
Spread of Coronavirus" direct link does not work), the New York Times
mentioned there, the Washington Post...  None of them labeled.

One reasons for not labeling the X is that the timing of various things
related to this virus are unknown: how fast (and how likely) it spread from
person to person, how long it takes for people to recover, etc. Obviously
these numbers vary from person to person, but solid statistics are needed
to build a model and we do not have such statistics. After all, worldwide
only 200,000 got sick and less than 8,000 died from COVID-19. For
comparison, just in the USA almost 200,000 people die from regular flu and
pneumonia EACH YEAR, i.e. way more than 3,000 die each single week, so
that's a solid statistics (source:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2019-2020/data/NCHSData10.csv )

I do not understand why they do not label the Y axis, since the information
about the medical system capacity should be well known.

One thing that only few sources mention and which to me is the most
important aspect of this whole discussion is that the area under the curve
stay the same. That is, everybody eventually get sick, and the total number
of deaths will be identical (provided that we stay under the medical
facility capacity). The only "way out" of this pandemic is having everybody
immunized, i.e. sick. Unless.... yes, vaccinated. However my understanding
is that the vaccine is 12-18 years in the future. Can you imagine the
social unrest if they say "lock yourself down for up to 18 months?" Easier
to say: "a couple of weeks and then we will re-evaluate", and then "another
month" and so on. Put the frog (that is, us) in boiling water and it will
jump out. Cook it slowly and it probably won't.

I know I am the minority and that most people prefer the "wait for vaccine
with a frog approach", but I will share my personal opinion anyway. No
flaming, please.
My personal opinion is that we should try to have the disease spread as
fast as possible while keeping the peak under the capacity. With the
exception of **voluntary** isolation by people who deem it appropriate for
their situation, e.g. the elderly or people with immunodeficiencies (which
should have made similar choices before anyway...)

Take care,
Davide