[lug] Jitsi, etc.

Mike Witt msg2mw at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 09:21:56 MDT 2020

On 04/10/2020 08:39:18 AM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Apr 2020 17:42:21 -0600
> Dru Whitledge <druw at oneimage.com> wrote:
>
> > Two names I've heard in the OSS arena for tele-conferencing are BBB
> > (Big Blue Button) with no downloaded client -- and Jitsi (
> > <https://jitsi.org/>https://Jitsi.org) that does use a downloaded
> > client (that you can hopefully trust -- as it's OSS).
>
> FWIW I've looked at both of those systems.  My impressions of Jitsi
> ended
> up here:
>
> 	https://lwn.net/Articles/815751/

Jonathan,

Thank you very much for this review. I've just been starting to look at
Jitsi and it's *very* helpful!

> The BigBlueButton article probably goes up later today.

And I look forward to seeing that one too.

> I currently have both systems running; I could make them available if
> LUG
> folks wanted to do a test drive.

Do you happen to know -- Does Jisti (and any other conferencing systems
you know about) use multicast? Or does all the traffic actually go
through the server in a sort of "star" configuration? (Hope that
question makes sense).

-Mike