[lug] debugging workstation issue

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Apr 10 14:25:24 MDT 2020

On 4/10/20 1:55 PM, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> Also, I wonder if you could plug in a USB standard (non-Apple) keyboard
> as a second keyboard and attempt to ALT-F2 to get to a console on that?

Just a note on this. For me, it used to work way back in the day. That
or Ctrl-Alt-F2 from X.

But it seems these days it does not work. I don't know if it is the
modeset graphics or libinput, but I've had gnome-shell come to a halt
and none of the Alt-F keys, not even SysRq work. It could have been some
kind of PCIe bus / GPU lockup I guess. But sometimes I am able to SSH in
and manually kill the GUI session.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil