[lug] Why use a Linux desktop? Was: Re: (Virtual)

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sat Apr 11 22:25:21 MDT 2020

> On April 11, 2020 at 9:46 PM Maxwell Spangler <lists at maxwellspangler.com> wrote:
>
>     ..
>     1. I've seen a large exodus of Linux advocate-users away from Linux desktops in favor of Mac (and perhaps some Windows?).
>
>     2. I don't see the Linux desktop market share as growing significantly. It has no killer app on the desktop.

Just a thought on this. As Vulkan comes out and matures applications previously written only for Windows or Mac or Linux/X11 will start having some compatibility. Many commercial products won't care about Linux even then, but some games might. To some minor extent any transition from OpenGL or DirectX (or whatever Mac has) will probably lead to more "killer app" (for some niche) progress under Linux.