[lug] Why use a Linux desktop? Was: Re: (Virtual)

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Sun Apr 12 13:42:54 MDT 2020

On 4/12/20 8:36 AM, Rob Nagler wrote:
> I don't know why people started using Slack over IRC or IM (Skype, AIM,
> etc.), but they did, and it now is a big.

Having used IRC and Hipchat and some others, the big reason for Slack is
the easy to use management of discussion groups and server members,
history, search and file sharing.

IRC had all those things, sure, but it was implemented with bots running
on the channels with hard to use commands and no GUI. The bots weren't
standardized so you'd have to figure out what the commands were this
time. They'd randomly crash too and lose all the channel history or
forget who you were and prevent you from using your nick. Or allow
trolls to pretend to be you.

The other IM apps were good for one to one conversations but I don't
remember any of them that let you share chat history with new group
members or search it easily.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil