[lug] Why use a Linux desktop? Was: Re: (Virtual)

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Sun Apr 12 15:02:56 MDT 2020

On Sun, 2020-04-12 at 20:33 +0000, duboulder wrote:
> Not managing licenses, being able to work w/o an internet connection.
> When I was using M$, managing the licenses was a PITA. These days I
> think you have to enable win10 to dial home at some interval. So if
> you are out by Mesa Verde with no internet for an extended period,
> your laptop might shut down. There are areas out there where we
> couldn't get a cell signal. Also areas like that in RMNP.
>
> Nobody has mentioned the privacy aspects of the os gathering info and
> sending it out. Not surprising I guess since as far as I can tell
> people may say they care about privacy but don't really act like they
> care.

I have to call BS on Win10 required an Internet connection. It does
not.

Some licensed software might I suppose.

I personally don't worry about my OS privacy too much. If I want to do
something that really needs privacy I'd use a dedicated virtual machine
running Linux or one of the BSDs. Probably in an encrypted drive image
and hooked up to a VPN as its only network connection.

MS is welcome to track what applications my gaming desktop has
installed and how often I launch Steam games.
--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil