[lug] Why use a Linux desktop? Was: Re: (Virtual)

duboulder blug-mail at duboulder.com
Sun Apr 12 16:36:17 MDT 2020

Most definitely true for some kinds of licenses as of 2 years ago (licenses are verified periodically):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7ntp7b/window_license_is_expiring_soon/

And then 1 year ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/9v6ibm/windows_10_pro_suddenly_not_activated/

"Microsoft has just released an Emerging issue announcement about current activation issue related to Pro edition recently. This happens in Japan, Korea, American and many other countries. I am very sorry to inform you that there is a temporary issue with Microsoft's activation server at the moment and some customers might experience this issue where Windows is displayed as not activated. Our engineers are working tirelessly to resolve this issue and it is expected to be corrected within one to two business days"

And then there is the telemetry that consumer versions can't opt out of. Don't know if the service can really be killed or what happens when it isn't running or is blocked by an external firewall.

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10/

"I hate to say it, but this is essentially a fool’s errand. Telemetry can only be disabled in Enterprise and Educational versions of Win10. You can cripple it, and in the process cripple other parts of the OS, but you can’t entirely disable it because they integrated it even more tightly into the shell and other services than when Win10 was first released. It’s integrated into Powershell, Device Manager, UAC, and Cortana (which in itself is now integrated into Search, so if you disable Cortana, there goes your Search/Indexing functionality). It’s attached to the Print Spooler, Windows Firewall (speaking of, disable this thing and enjoy having no Microsoft Store and no Windows Updates), Windows Update, etc. This is only a small portion of the services it is now tied into, they added much more (btw, it’s also tied into the entire networking stack and related services, which is why you guys are still seeing data being recorded and sent even after following all of the steps in this guide). Microsoft also made changes to how it handles the HOSTS file in relation to Microsoft services and websites, and hard-coded the OS to bypass the HOSTS file when you put in entries for those Microsoft properties. Anniversary Update removed the ability of Home or Pro to disable Telemetry via Group Policy. You can still see/enable the policy in the editor, but it has no effect."