[lug] Next subject, please?

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 14:55:08 MDT 2020

Stephen,

One never knows what sorts of things will persuade, in either direction,
but I can offer a fact and an anecdote:

*The fact:*
A POSIX system must have vi -- it's in the specs. Sit down at any POSIX box
and type "vi" and it will run, and conform to spec. That doesn't mean it
can't have a superset -- vim, for example -- but typing vi has to work and
it has to support an internationally specified set of bindings (ISO/IEC
9945-2).

Used to be that embedded-OSs were too small, and RTOSs too specialized, to
support POSIX compliance, but I think they mostly now do.

*The anecdote:*
The relevant POSIX committee -- POSIX.2 -- asked RMS to write up an emacs
spec to include in the standard. RMS refused, saying he didn't believe
in such things. The committee could then have turned to other folks, but
decided if Stallman opposed it, such a standard would never fly.

Stallman, by the way, was the guy who came up with the name, "POSIX"