[lug] Fast Typing (on Linux)

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 15:50:14 MDT 2020

> > > If you're a good typist and want to get the kind of speed one gets
> > > from a keyboard, I'll show you how to set up your Linux computer to
> > > turbocharge your workflow. This setup won't make you part of the
> > > in-crowd, nor the leading edge, and in fact some will laugh at you.
> > > But if you feel the need for speed, you'll like the setup I'll show
> > > you.
> >
> > https://www.midi4text.com/
>
> Holy cow! Given that I write books, and occasionally write 2000 words
> in a day, this could be a big help. Thanks!

You are most welcome. I am told that with this system you can reach 50 wpm
as a walk in the park, and twice that with just little practice. If you
want to go beyond that, there is a slightly more complicated "keyboard
layout" (I think they use a different name, but you got the idea) which you
can use with the same hw (any 3-octave midi keyboard or a modified 2-octave
one). IIRC the name of that other layout is "Michela" from the last name of
its inventor. The experts with Michela often score among the first people
on worldwide fast typing competition (yes, there is such a thing) with
numbers in the 400wpm ballpark. But that's professional typists who type
word-for-word everything that is said by several people (often speaking at
the same time and interrupting each other) in places where they need it,
such as the Italian Senate, so I don't expect any of us reaching that limit.

FWIW, I installed plover (the software allowing these things)
https://github.com/openstenoproject/plover

It works flawlessly(*) on Linux (and I am told on Mac and Windows). But it
does not work on Chromebooks.

Cheers,
Davide
(*): there's always a footnote for Linux software ;-) look at the github
issues and in particular to the one I submitted for a workaround.